Our centres provide spectacular fieldwork locations across Somerset
Learning outside the classroom doesn’t get much better than the locations our centres provide.
We can provide you with tailor-made geography and environmental fieldwork programmes or you can run your own self-taught field study program in the very best locations the south west has to offer.
With centres located on the spectacular Quantock and Mendip Hills, both are situated in breath-taking ‘Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty’, completely immersed in wilderness and tranquillity.
Panoramic views at Kilve lead you through coast, heath and combe whilst at Charterhouse thousands of years of geology culminate in the staggering Cheddar Gorge.
Between our two locations we have all areas of scientific interest covered; rocky Jurassic coastline, exposed heathland summits, deep wooded coombes, working farmland, rural villages, limestone cave formations and specially protected areas of scientific interest.
Whether you opt to deliver your own programme, or we arrange one for you, we have fabulous comfy accommodation, special equipment, study facilities and, best of all, fantastic locations for investigations and learning all just waiting for your adventure to begin.
The Spectacular locations on offer for you to build your fieldwork course:
- Quantock Hills – moorland ecology in a protected and managed plagioclimax
- Mendip Hills – nature reserve by Charterhouse, a previous lead mining site now managed for wildlife
- Cheddar Gorge – limestone landscapes
- Cheddar – tourism honeypot
- Kilve Beach –Rocky shore zonation studies and geological SSSI
- Minehead – Somerset Coastal processes and defences
- Holford Stream – Geography downstream river studies
- Kilve Court – pond and stream environments – freshwater ecology studies
Contact us for further details and to discuss the wide range of possibilities for your fieldwork programme.
Moorland ecology in a protected and managed plagioclimax
Rocky shore zonation studies and geological SSSI
Nature reserve by Charterhouse, a previous lead mining site now managed for wildlife
Somerset coastal processes and defences
Geography downstream river studies
Pond and stream environments – freshwater ecology studies